No, no, not again!
It seemed like we barely had time to recover from the last #31HorrorFilms31Days, but it was time again to subject ourselves to an onslaught of horror. We both tried to watch movies we've never seen before, and both ended up hitting roughly the same numbers as last year. I hit 31 a few days early and could have gotten another four or five in, but I tapped out from horror fatigue. The bleakness and the brutality got to be too draining. Some movies, like Martyrs, were so disturbingly extreme that I wanted to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks for a month to restore my faith in humanity. I watched one movie that was so atrocious that I didn’t even put it on my list because I didn’t want to point anyone toward it.
There were good ones though. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was phenomenal. I can’t believe I’d never seen it and now it is a contender for my favorite horror movie of all time. I also loved Calvaire. Exte: Hair Extensions was bizarre and fun and the only evil hair extensions movie I’ve ever seen. The Collector and The Collection were a lot like Saw, and some people don’t like them, but I think it’s a fun franchise. Phantasm was sweet, Tokyo Gore Police was insane, and the Stacy Keach segment of Body Bags was mind-blowing and hilarious.
I can’t say I’m sorry it’s over, and I’ll be feeding my brain with a lot more happy stuff in the next month to balance it out, but I’ve already got a 34 movie list laid out for next year. Bring it on… but not for 11 months.
Here's our lists and some pics!
1) STITCHES - A clown that doesn't finish a party can never rest in peace. And its soul lives inside a painted egg.
2- THE SPELL (1977) - An ostracized, overweight teen uses witchcraft to get revenge on everyone she hates.
3) MARTYRS - I feel abused by this movie. Extreme French torture and dehumanization horror.
4) SHIVERS - Cronenberg knows how to make zombies scarier. Make them horny.
5) FAUST: LOVE OF THE DAMNED - Jeffrey Combs, the Wishmaster guy, fun special effects, and wolverine claws
6) PHENOMENA- She's psychically connected to insects and sleepwalks while a killer stalks. Slow build, great finish
7) PROXY - The assault of a pregnant woman with a brick made me sick. And the rest of the movie was confusing
8) SHAKMA - Locked inside with a murderous baboon. Bad monkey horror. Baboon was cool tho.
9) THE REEDS - Friends take a boat into the reeds, a spooky wetland where plot slows and interest wanes
10) WHEN A STRANGER CALLS (1979) - Carol Kane gets an iconic phone call from a maniac. Great score. No gore needed
11) EXTE: HAIR EXTENSIONS - Evil hair extensions bursting from eyeballs, mouths, and wounds. Gross, fun and weird.
12) VAMP - Grace Jones and her vampire strippers. Whole movie is drenched in pink and green light
13) THE CONJURING - Well executed haunted house/exorcism movie.
14) CALVAIRE- (The Ordeal) Never let your van breakdown in the backwoods of Belgium. Horrific hicks. Pretty great
15) CARRIE (2013) - Imagine the 70's Carrie except remade so that by the end you don't care.
16) FORGET ME NOT- As her friends die, the world forgets they ever existed. Also twitching ghouls wearing duct tape
17) THE KISS - Her estranged fashion model aunt returns and wants to pass the family curse on to her with a kiss.
18) THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) - Killer buildup. Amazing end. So scary. #thegrandpa. #chainsawchase #lovedit
19) CRAWLSPACE - Klaus Kinski is a nazi landlord who hates privacy and likes to skateboard on his stomach
20) THE CURSE (1987) - A glowing meteor hits a farm, ruins the crops, and drives the people and livestock insane.
21) DEAD AND BURIED- Strangers who die in Potter's Bluff come back as locals. Melody Anderson. Stan Winston effects.
22) CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST - Oof.
23) PULSE (2001) - Solemn people in Japan are haunted by internet ghosts. Awesome scary ghost walks.
24) NURSE - Paz de la Huerta is a steamy serial killer minx who kills married men for succumbing to her charms.
25) THE COLLECTOR - Booby trap gorror inside a house. Pretty sweet
26) THE COLLECTION - The fun continues at the killer's house in the sequel. I'm ready for part 3. The Collectables?
27) CHOPPING MALL - Deadly robots with laser guns are deployed to finally put an end to after hours mall crime.
28) FRONTIER(S) - Like Texas Chainsaw but in France, with brutal gore, Nazis, and every awful thing you can imagine
29) TOKYO GORE POLICE - So enthusiastically over the top that it's amazing.
30) BODY BAGS - Fun John Carpenter horror compilation. The one with Stacy Keach getting hair replacement is amazing
31) PHANTASM - Two brothers are tormented by a tall mortician, hooded dwarves, and flying chrome torture balls.
1) HAXAN - The world according to witches. Lots of old Danish women and WilliamSBurroughs (who oddly looks like an old Danish woman).
2) THE FLY - Girl meets guy. Guy kills baboon, merges with fly, eats tons of candy, & tries to make girl teleport.
3) OCULUS - Siblings fight a haunted mirror. The usual psycho dad bullshit goes down. I was hoping for more Latin.
4) OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN - Peter Weller renovates an NYC brownstone and one vicious rat effs it up. Pretty great.
5) PIECES - College. Where a Dean cuts up girls with a chainsaw and noone catches on. Evidently a college for the deaf
6) CUJO - The dog attack scenes are way more terrifying than the book. And @Dee_Wallace is so watchable.
7) FIRESTARTER - Lil' Drew Barrymore combusts an all-star cast but leaves her numerous superhip 80's outfits un-singed.
8) LETS SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH - Some hippies land in like a really bad scene, man, and discover it ain't 1969 anymore
9) BORGMAN - The devil hangs out.
10) THE MAN WHO LAUGHS - Ladies love a grotesque, surgically implemented smile.
12) LONG WEEKEND A couple go camping and are such assholes even the animals want to kill them.
13) FRIDAY THE 13TH, PT. 7 - Totally original concept. Never knew what was going to happen. They should make more.
14) WITCHING & BITCHING - More witches than you can shake a broom at. A new favorite
15) TENEBRE - Giallo film about a giallo novel that inspires Italian women to be killed while nude. Top tier Argento
16) PSYCHO II - Norman Bates tries hard not to kill again. And fails.
17) BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO - A sound engineer goes Mulholland Dr working on Susperia. More like Berboring Sound Studio
18) PROXY - What happens when psychos meet at a support group. Unfortunately spirals into Lifetime treatment.